SLIDER

(Very) Crumbly Date Squares

I'm back from my 3 day trip to Brisbane so my normal posting routine will resume. As it's Wednesday, that means baking, and today it's crumbly date squares. I first started making these squares when I lived in Canada, using a recipe from one of my Australian recipe books. I didn't know at the time that the recipe probably originally came from Canada where they're known as Matrimonial Bars.



The biscuit base is very short so crumbles everywhere. I defy any-one to cut this slice into neat piece, but I think that's half of its charm.



The date filling is so sweet that no extra sugar is really needed, though I did add a sprinkling of brown sugar at the very end. I like the filling so much that I doubled the filling 'cos I don't think you can ever get too much of a good thing!



See you soon,


Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

3 comments

  1. Hi Jillian, I am loving your blog........,I stumbled across it yesterday whilst lying in bed suffering with tonsillitis!
    Anyway, the food looks delicious and so tempting right now, could I be cheeky and ask for some recipes - there are quite a number I like - the Date recipes to start? Could I list them for you or do you have a cookbook you could point me towards?
    with warm regards,
    Vicki
    p.s. I really enjoyed your black & white film shots.......,
    Do you prefer film over digital?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki,

    I'm in the process of writing and photographing a cookbook so the recipes will eventually be available for all.

    The date square recipe is adapted from one in Margaret Fulton's Encyclopaedia of Food and Cookery. I just doubled the filling and dropped the sugar. I'm not sure if the recipe is available online.

    Film has it's advantages as does digital but nothing looks like film except for film! In many ways film is easier to handle but the problem these days is finding a good lab to process it. If you like the look of film check out Jose Villa, Elizabeth Messina or Jonathan Canlas - US wedding photographers who use film exclusively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jillian,

    Thanks for the info regarding the date square recipe, I will try and find the suggested book. I will also check out the film photographers you recommended.
    Look forward to the cookbook,
    kind regards,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.