SLIDER

blackberry macaroon tarts

I did so much baking for Passover and haven't had the chance to share any of it, so that's what I'll be posting for the next few weeks. I found this Heidi Swanson recipe a few weeks ago and thought it would be perfect for Passover without the crust - the first of many mistakes I made.



For those of you who do bake, you'll notice there's often a glossary of terms in cookbooks translating words or substituting ingredients. I stumbled on the concept of unsweetened finely shredded coconut. In Australia shredded coconut means long strands of coconut, which is what I used. I think they meant to use what we'd call desiccated coconut.



There wasn't enough coconut to hold the tart together so when I tried to take it out of the tin, it crumbled into a gazillion pieces. No matter, I just ate it from the tin with a spoon like a dessert.



Would I make it again? Maybe but I think it's more of a slice than a tart, so I'd bake it in a different tin, because it needs baking paper to prevent the macaroon filling from sticking. Or I could make it into a proper tart using a sweet shortcrust pastry with the blackberry macaroon filling. Any thoughts on which version I should make?

I hope you all enjoyed your weekends. Apart from a much needed haircut I did a bit of shopping as I have no winter clothes to speak of. I didn't come home with much but I'm very pleased with a cute pair of Midas black granny boots I purchased. I can tell I won't take them off all winter.

I'll be back Wednesday with some photos from the Sydney launch of My Heart Wanders, so until then,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.