SLIDER

blueberry crumble muffins

I bought Ottolenghi: The Cookbook for my friend Mandy for Christmas. My own copy lay unwrapped because I'd just been so busy in the lead-up to Christmas. Mandy told me these blueberry muffins were the best ever, so I thought I'd better try the recipe for myself.

blueberry muffins

Blueberry Crumble Muffins from Ottolenghi: The Cookbook 

Makes about 18 regular sized muffins.

Muffins: 
540 g plain flour 
5 tsp baking powder 
2 large eggs 
340 g caster sugar 
140 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly 
380 ml milk 
grated zest of 1 lemon 
1 Granny Smith apple (unpeeled), cut into 1cm dice 
200 g fresh blueberries plus extra for topping

Crumble: 
150 g plain flour 
50 g caster sugar 
100 g cold butter, cut into small cubes 

To make the crumble: 
  • Put the flour, sugar and butter in a bowl and mix with your hands to work into a uniform breadcrumb consistency. Make sure there are no large lumps of butter left. 
  • Transfer to a plastic container and store in the fridge. It also keeps very well in the freezer. 
To make the muffins: 
  • Preheat the oven to 170°C /325°C. Line a muffin tray with paper cases. 
  • Sift together the flour, baking powder and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk together the eggs, sugar and melted butter. Whisk in the milk and lemon zest, then gently fold in the fruit
  • Add the sifted dry ingredients to the blueberry mixture and fold together very gently. Make sure you stir the mix just enough to combine; it should remain lumpy and rough. 
  • Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases to fill them up. Generously cover with the crumble topping to form small domes over the batter then dot with a few extra blueberries.
  • Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean. 
  • Take out of the tins while still warm.


I already had some leftover crumble mix in the freezer, so I used my own oaty version rather than making a fresh batch.



I made half the recipe and it still made 12 muffins, so they must use huge muffin tins at Ottolenghi's. I did have one of the muffins for my breakfast following the first cycle class for 2012 and yes, it was very good.

I hope you enjoyed the weekend. See you all again on Wednesday.

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

  1. beautiful. and blueberry muffins are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments,

    J

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.