pronto - ricotta and cherry tomato tart
I was looking through the Donna Hay 2008 seasonal diary and came across a recipe for ricotta and cherry tomato tarts. I adapted it slightly to produce what you see here.
As the recipe is so simple, it relies on the best and freshest ingredients you can buy. I used Careme all butter puff pastry and my favourite low fat ricotta cheese from Paesanella.
The recipe is below but I think of it more of a suggestion than a recipe. I'm sure you could use other vegetables like par cooked asparagus or thinly sliced zucchini with a different flavoured pesto or olive tapenade.
Ricotta and Cherry Tomato Tarts
375 gram packet all butter puff pastry
300 gm low fat ricotta
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Sea salt and pepper
2-4 tablespoons tomato pesto
12 cherry truss tomatoes
Olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- Combine the ricotta, parmesan cheese and the finely chopped oregano in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the puff pastry in half along the wide side.
- Score a border 1 cm in from the edge taking care not to cut all the way through the pastry. Repeat with the second pastry half.
- Prick the pastry bases all over with a fork and spread half the tomato pesto over each base.
- Gently cover the pesto with the half the ricotta mixture, keeping within the scored edges. Repeat with the second base.
- Spray the cherry truss tomatoes with olive oil spray and season. Top each of the tarts with 6 truss cherry tomatoes.
- Place the tarts onto the prepared baking tray then bake in the preheated oven for ~ 45 minutes or until the tarts are puffed and golden brown.
See you all again next week,