SLIDER

chocolate fudge cookies

I'm always looking for low fat options so when I found this recipe for chocolate fudge cookies, I couldn't wait to try it out. I had all the ingredients in my cupboard apart from the sour cherries, which I found at my local whole foods store.



I made the cookie dough and put half the dough into the freezer and baked the rest. The cookies were very tasty and I did eat the one in the photo with a glass of milk. I found the sour cherries I'd bought weren't sour at all, in fact they were really sweet.



I wondered how the cookies would taste if I added some toasted pecans and a teaspoon of espresso powder just to cut through the sweetness. The next day, I was back in the kitchen to try again.



The cookies take no time to put together and in 14 minutes they were out of the oven cooling on a wire rack.



I took both batches of cookies into work and didn't mention that the cookies were low in fat. When I took the cookie tin home, one of the girls had scrawled 'Thank-you. Yummy' onto the label so my test audience gave them their seal of approval.



Here's the recipe for you.
Cocoa Fudge Cookies
(from Cooking Light, recipe by Alice Medrich)
1 cup Plain flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
7 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried tart cherries (or mini chocolate chips)

Preheat oven to 180°/350°F. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.

Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.

In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Stir in cocoa powder and sugars. Stir in yogurt and vanilla extract. Add flour and mix until just combined. Stir in cherries or mini-chocolate chips, if using.

Drop tablespoonfuls of batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Press down slightly to flatten; cookies do not spread a lot.

Bake for 9-12 minutes or until set and slightly firm at the edges. Allow to cool on the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 2 dozen.

As I still have half the sour cherry dough in the freezer, I'll bake the rest of them this week to put in my cookie jar.

I hope you all had good weekends. See you all again on Wednesday,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.