SLIDER

rhubarb ginger cake

July's Delicious magazine featured apple desserts. I photocopied the recipe for the Apple, pecan and gingerbread loaf cake which I took home and placed on the fridge door. By the time I was ready to make it, I had a bunch of beautiful ruby red rhubarb in the fridge so I decided to recreate the loaf as a Rhubarb Ginger Cake.



The recipe in the magazine didn't have the weight of the apple so I guessed and used 150 grams of chopped rhubarb instead. I also increased the amount of ginger from 1 to 2 teaspoons, otherwise the recipe stayed the same.



I had everything ready.



I kept some of the fruit mixture aside and added a tablespoon of brown sugar so I could make a topping for the loaf. The cake took much longer to bake in my oven than the suggested 50 minutes, about 1½ hours in the end. 



I took the cake into work and it disappeared in a flash. The cake was pudding like in texture and I admit to being a little disappointed by that, however the texture was what my workmates particularly enjoyed. Who would have guessed? I wondered whether the rhubarb was the reason but when I checked some of the recipe comments, a few other people mentioned their cake was also more pudding than cake. It looks like my search for the perfect ginger cake will continue.

It was my day off today and despite my grand plans to do something nice for myself, I spent most of the day cooking and doing my tax return. Maybe I'll try again this coming weekend.

See you all again on Wednesday,

Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.