SLIDER

daffodils at rydal

Have you heard about Rydal? It's a tiny little village about 12 kiometres from Lithgow and for the past 7 years Rydal has hosted Daffodils at Rydal.



I heard about it a few weeks ago on a gardening programme and pencilled the dates into my diary. Daffodils at Rydal runs over 2 weekends but as the weather has been unseasonably hot, I wasn't sure the daffodils would survive 'til the second week. Rydal is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Sydney and Saturday September 8 was election day, so I cleared my day and voted early.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-11_zps0deb8ea7.jpg

I'm an early bird so I left Sydney at 7.30 a.m. and I arrived just on opening time. The village was a charming as I'd hoped to find it.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-10_zps12ab247d.jpg

I paid my entry fee at the Railway Station, took a copy of the map and made my way through the suggested route.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-13_zps32e226e5.jpg

I started at the old police station before making my way to Rydal Cottage. Daffodils weren't the only flowers in bloom. There was plenty of wattle on display and spring blossoms.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-15_zps0207340c.jpg

I found the contrast between the stark countryside and the cheery well mannered daffodils quite interesting.

 photo blog-14_zps3e5c6364.jpg

From Rydal Cottage I walked past St. Matthew's Church and on to Rose Cottage.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-4_zpsb7b20763.jpg

Rose Cottage is a bed and breakfast set amongst beautiful gardens.  

daffodils at rydal photo blog-7_zpsc014c728.jpg

I found lots of pretty little corners to explore.



The garden was beautifully scented.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-5_zps99f24a63.jpg

There were plants for sale and a pretty potager garden.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-6_zpsb45b33b7.jpg

After Rose Cottage I walked through Pioneer Park back to the main street.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-12_zpsb95513a0.jpg

A burst of pink in the main street.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-3_zpsd15ae85b.jpg

I decided to visit one more garden, Solitary Creek, before driving back to Sydney.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-1_zps7bafe86f.jpg

Solitary Creek was a much more Australian garden featuring lots of purple flowers and foliage. Leann, the owner, has the sweetest little puppy who was receiving lots of puppy cuddles from the garden visitors.

daffodils at rydal photo blog-2_zpsa9f39595.jpg

I came home via Blackheath, where I stocked up on sour dough bread at the Blackheath Bakery, before the long drive home.

Rydal was a charming as I'd hoped it would be so I'm planning to return in 2014.

No baking for me this week so if you need a recipe fix, here's my latest Delicious Bites column for decor8. Holly from decor8 loves it when readers comment, so if you could pen a few words I'd be grateful.

See you all again next week,

Jillian 

PRINT RECIPE

1 comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.