SLIDER

raspberry chocolate bundt cake

Hi Every-one,

a few weeks ago one of the girls at work mentioned how much she loved the dark chocolate and raspberry muffins from Bourke Street Bakery. They sounded nice so I consulted my copy of the Bourke Street Bakery cookbook and set to work adapting my butter cake recipe. Instead of muffins I decided to make a little bundt cake.





Fresh raspberries are always ridiculously expensive in Sydney and I only buy them when they drop down to a certain price. Normally I'd suggest substituting frozen raspberries but with the recent health scare and frozen berry product recall, fresh raspberries are the way to go. Happily it's raspberry season at the moment in Sydney.




I was a bit worried about the raw sugar coating, something I'd not tried before. I kept my fingers crossed the molten sugar wouldn't weld the cake to the tin.



Thankfully it all worked and the cake came out nice and easily. In fact I thought it looked beautiful.






All the cake needed was a light dusting of icing sugar and it was ready to serve.





Here’s the recipe for you. For all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C. If you'd like to make a big bundt cake, just double all the ingredients. The baking time won't change.

Raspberry Chocolate Bundt Cake

Cake
butter for greasing
1 tbl raw sugar
125 grams (4 oz) unsalted butter 
100 grams (½ cup) caster sugar 
1 egg 
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup self raising flour
¼ cup plain flour 
125 mls (½ cup) buttermilk
85 g (3 oz) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped or chocolate chips
85 g (3 oz) raspberries

Decoration
icing sugar 

Method
1. Preheat oven to moderate (180°C/160°C fan-forced). Generously grease a small bundt tin with butter, scatter over the raw sugar to coat and then finish with a dusting of flour.

2. To make the cake, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix until combined well. Sift the flours together. Add the flour alternately with the buttermilk to make a soft batter. Gently fold through the chopped chocolate.

3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, gently studding the raspberries into the mixture. Smooth surface. 

4. Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until the cake is well risen, the top is golden and the cakes tests ‘cooked’ when tested with a skewer.

5. Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.

6. While the cake is still a little warm, dust the top of the cake with the icing sugar.



The cake was nice and moist and I thought the combination of the dark chocolate and raspberry was lovely. I'll have to put this recipe in the keeper file.

I visited my travel agent Kurt on Saturday and I've now booked my flights to Singapore and Japan. I've been to Singapore before but I've not been to japan before. I'd love your suggestions for things to see and do in Japan, places to visit and shops to shoot. Looking forward to reading your suggestions which you can leave in the comments section if you like.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.