SLIDER

ottolenghi's sweetcorn slaw

As I'm sure you know by now, I'm an unabashed Ottolenghi fan. When Juliana and I were trying to choose a recipe for our last Plate 2 Plate column, Juliana suggested this recipe for sweetcorn slaw from Ottolenghi's book, Plenty More.






I'd already decided to make some oven fried chicken and faux chips for my dinner and thought this would be the perfect accompaniment. I picked up some corn and cabbage and a few herbs and put this together.



I don't eat mayonnaise so I used Greek yoghurt in the dressing instead. As with all Ottolenghi recipes, this one was bursting with flavour but I found pickling the vegetables made them a tad soggy and I'm not keen on soggy.



I've made this recipe a second time but this time I didn't brine the vegetables. I'm not sure which version I prefer.

Here's the original recipe for you, which serves six.

Sweetcorn Slaw
100ml white wine vinegar
200ml water
Salt and black pepper
¼ white cabbage, shredded: 300g net
3 carrots, julienned
1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
4 corn cobs, lightly brushed with olive oil
2 red chillies, finely chopped
20g picked coriander leaves
20g picked mint leaves
Olive oil
For the dressing
50g mayonnaise
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1½ tsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic, crushed 
For the dressing
Put the vinegar, water and a tablespoon of salt into a small saucepan, bring up to a boil and remove from the heat.
Put the cabbage and carrot in a bowl, pour over two-thirds of the salty liquid and set aside to soften for 20 minutes. Pour the remaining liquid over the onion and, again, set aside for 20 minutes. Rinse the vegetables and onion, pat dry, put in a large bowl and set aside.
Put a ridged chargrill pan on a high heat and, when it starts to smoke, lay the corn on it. Chargrill for 10-12 minutes, turning so that all sides get some colour (this will create quite a lot of smoke). Remove from the heat and, when cool enough to handle, use a large knife to shave off the corn in clumps and add to the salad bowl.
Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing, pour over the salad and stir gently. Add the chilli, coriander and mint, along with a grind of black pepper, give it another gentle stir and serve.



The char grilled corn is very yummy so I guess I've just added another recipe to my Ottolenghi repertoire.


Did I mention that I'll be doing Passover week again this year? I still have 2 more things to bake so at the moment I'm knee deep in superfine matzo meal, potato flour, nuts, chocolate, coconut and eggs. All will be revealed soon!

See you all again next week,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

  1. Anonymous10:17 pm

    This looks fantastic! very fresh and summery! it just turned spring here in Canada, and this salad will be on my menu! Good luck with all the Passover baking and cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to hear from you again. 2 more Passover bakes to go before the posts go up March 30 so I'm off to the shops buy another dozen eggs. J

      Delete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.