SLIDER

plum and apple chutney

I made a chicken curry a few weeks back and used up the last of my Delhi Chutney, a spicy mango, apple and date chutney. I went out to buy tinned mango, a key ingredient in the chutney, but there was none at the supermarket. I had plums in the house, so I tracked down a recipe for plum chutney on the internet. I settled on a Nigel Slater recipe and as I didn't have  quite enough plums, I used some apple in the recipe.



I quite like making jams and chutneys, so I pulled out my low Le Creuset pan, measured out all the ingredients and set to work.



Once everything is measured out, all you need to do is stir regularly while its cooking and when the chutney is nice and thick, spoon it into hot sterilised jars. It's best to store the chutney for a while to let it mature. I used some on my lunch on Saturday.The chutney is pretty sharp at first but 2 weeks later the chutney had mellowed quite a bit. 



Here's the recipe for you, adapted from this Nigel Slater recipe.

Plum and Apple Chutney
Ingredients
500g plums
250g green apple
350g onions, chopped
125g raisins
250g light muscovado or brown sugar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp crushed dried chillies
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
150ml apple cider vinegar
150ml malt vinegar
a cinnamon stick broken in two

Method
Halve the plums, discarding the stones. Peel core and dice the green apple then peel and roughly chop the onions. Put the fruit and the onions into a large heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat to low.

Simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 1½ - 2 hours until the mixture thickens. Don’t forget to stir it occasionally as it may catch if you don’t and you don’t want that to happen! Pour into hot and sterilised jam jars. Seal.



Store in a cool dark place. If you can, leave the chutney to mature for at least a month before using.

Next week Juliana and I are planning something special for Valentine's Day. I've just had a new stove fitted, so I'm hoping all goes well....

Bye for now,

Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.