SLIDER

sunday special - egg, chorizo and gruyere breakfast bread

Every January I go through my food magazines to cull the ever growing pile. I pulled out the April/May 2012 Donna Hay magazine and promptly bookmarked about 12 recipes I'd like to make.




With my new stove freshly installed, I decided it was high time to make something a bit special for my Sunday breakfast. I looked through the magazine and decide to make the egg, pancetta and gruyere bread recipe with a few minor changes. As I don't eat pancetta I swapped it for some chorizo I had in the freezer. The basil I had growing in a pot; the swiss cheese was already in the fridge so the only thing I had to buy were the truss tomatoes.



I decided to prepare the yeasted dough the previous evening and generally with a long slow prove you need less yeast so I reduced the quantity of yeast a little. The sugar in the dough recipe isn't necessary so I left it out completely.



This breakfast bread was one of the first things I baked in my new oven. I'm still working out the oven and which of the shelves to use, so the bread isn't as golden as I would have liked but it didn't alter the taste, which was delicious! 



Here's the recipe for you. For all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C.

Egg, Chorizo and Gruyère Breakfast Bread - adapted from Donna Hay Magazine
Servings: 4-6

Ingredients
1½ cups 00 flour or plain flour plus extra, for dusting
1 teaspoon salt
1tsp dry yeast
⅔ cup (160ml) warm water
½ tablespoon olive oil, plus extra, for drizzling,
4 eggs
½ small chorizo sausage, coarsely chopped
250g truss cherry tomatoes
1 cup (100g) grated gruyere cheese
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
⅓ cup basil leaves
Salt and pepper

The night before you plan to make the breakfast bread, prepare the dough. Place the flour, salt and yeast in a bowl. Add the olive oil and water and bring together to form a dough or you can do all this in a stand mixer with the dough hook. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in a large bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and put into the fridge to prove overnight. The following day remove the dough from the fridge (which will have risen overnight) and bring to room temperature. 

Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F). Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to make a 25cm square. Transfer to a deep-sided 25cm-square baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and push dough into the edges. Crack the eggs onto the dough and top with the chorizo and tomatoes. Sprinkle with the cheese, chilli flakes and basil. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 12–14 minutes or until golden. 






This will make firm eggs so if you prefer runny eggs, I'd add them halfway through the cooking time. Also truss tomatoes look pretty and photograph well but they're not that practical as you have to fish the twigs out of the bread before you can eat it so next time I'd just use cherry tomatoes.

Believe it or not I've just had the stove installed for a second time so I'm hoping all will be smooth sailing for now. See you all again next week with some more baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.