SLIDER

ratatouille tart



I don't just bake sweet things you know. Saturday night is pizza night in my house and I've made the pizza dough so often that I know the Marcella Hazan recipe off by heart. I'm trying to eat a little less meat these days so last weekend I decided to make a vegetable tart adapted from a recipe I found in The Popina Book of Baking.



I've had the recipe book for a few years now but have mainly baked sweet treats from the book. Looking through the book it probably has more savoury then sweet recipes and this tart which uses a pizza dough base instead of a shortcrust pastry base intrigued me. 



The original recipe used oven roasted zucchini and fennel for the vegetable filling but I decided to use oven roasted ratatouille flavoured with fresh basil leaves. As I don't tolerate cream very well, the yoghurt based filling also appealled to me.



The dough was really easy to make and the filling tasted lovely as well. The tart turned out so well I'm keen to try a few other filling combinations soon. I think I can feel mushrooms calling my name.




Here's the recipe for you which makes 6 servings. For all my recipes I use a 250ml cup and a 20ml tablespoon. I use 60g eggs and unsalted butter in all my recipes. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if you're oven is fan forced, you may need to lower the temperature by 20ºC.

Ratatouille tart

You'll need a 10 X 33 cm rectangular tart tin for this recipe.

Filling

350 g eggplant cut into 1cm cubes
100g zucchini cut into ½ cm slices
100g red capsicum, cut into 1cm cubes
1 red onion halved then sliced thinly
1 garlic clove, sliced thinly
40 mls olive oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp cracked black pepper
10 basil leaves
100g mature cheddar cheese, grated
150g Greek yoghurt
6 cherry tomatoes halved
1 quantity pizza dough
extra basil leaves

Filling
Preheat oven to 200ºC. Put the eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, onion, garlic, oil, salt and pepper into a baking tray and toss to coat. Cover the tin with foil and roast for 30 minutes. Uncover the tin and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened and coloured a little. Cover the tray and cool for 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 190ºC and while the vegetables are cooling make the pizza dough.

Pizza dough
220g plain flour
1 tsp dried yeast
½ tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
1 egg
80 mls warm water

Method
Mix the flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the oil, egg and water. Mix together to form a soft dough. Cover the dough and allow to rest for 10 minutes before gently kneading on a lightly oiled surface. The dough should be soft but not sticky. Put to one side.

To make the tart, drain any excess liquid from the vegetables, then mix in 60g of the cheese. Grease the tin then line it with the pizza dough but don’t trim the edges yet. Place the basil leaves on the base of the tart. Mix the yoghurt with the remaining cheese and pour into the tart shell. Scatter the roasted vegetables over the top spreading them evenly before topping with the halved tomatoes. Trim the edges of the tart. 



Bake the tart at 190ºC for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is set. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before serving. Top each slice with a few basil leaves.

See you all again next week with some more baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.