SLIDER

passover week 2018 - mandarin olive oil chocolate cake

Welcome to Passover week 2018. This year I've baked a little bit of everything - a cookie, some tarts, cakes and choux pastry buns.



Every Passover I make yet another flourless chocolate cake. This one comes from an old Bill Granger cookbook, Bill’s Open Kitchen, which I’ve had on my kitchen shelf for years. I’ve cooked many recipes from the book but this is the first time I’ve made this cake and it was easy to renovate it for Passover.




Passover usually falls in autumn when citrus is aplenty so that’s why I chose to make this particular cake. You could make the cake using melted butter, in fact the original recipe called for that, but I used olive oil instead making the cake parve. I also used my Passover baking mix, which is equal quantities of superfine matzo meal and potato starch but you could just use potato starch. The end result was a very squidgy quite exotic tasting cake. Some of the tasters thought I’d added cinnamon to the cake batter but the intriguing flavour was just the combination of mandarin rind and olive oil.



Here’s the recipe for you. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams; I use unsalted butter and my oven is a conventional gas oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C. Passover baking mix is just equal quantities of superfine matzo meal and potato flour (starch) combined. As always if you want to make a larger cake, a 23cm or 9 inch cake, then double all the ingredients but the baking time stays the same.



Mandarin Chocolate Cake – Bill Granger
Ingredients
125g dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
125mls extra virgin olive oil
3 eggs, separated
60g caster sugar
1½ tbs Passover baking mix
12g almond meal
finely grated zest of 1 large mandarin

To serve
Mandarin slices, cocoa power and cream

Preheat the oven to 190°C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 18cm spring-form cake tin with baking paper. Melt the chocolate and oil in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir over the heat until the chocolate has just melted, being careful not to overheat - remove from the heat and set aside.

Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until lightly combined. Add the chocolate mixture gradually, stirring constantly. Using a large metal spoon, fold through the baking mix, almond meal and orange zest.

Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry metal bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold half of the egg whites in with the batter with a metal spoon until barely combined. Fold through the rest of the egg whites.

Bake for 35 minutes (the cake will still be moist when tested), then remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin. Transfer to a plate and dust with some cocoa powder. Serve with mandarin slices and a dollop of cream.



See you all again tomorrow with some more Passover baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.