SLIDER

ANZAC biscuits 2018



I was planning to share a cake with you that's been lurking in the freezer waiting to be iced for the past few weeks but when I realised ANZAC day was just around the corner what else could I do but whip up a batch of ANZAC biscuits.



These biscuits are so easy to make that just about any-one can make a batch. I had everything I needed in the fridge or cupboard and once measured, the biscuits take about 5 minutes to put together. I used the recipe from Belinda Jeffery's book, Mix and Bake but I added a bit of grated lemon rind to the mixture for extra flavour and a macadamia half for good measure.




Here's the recipe for you which makes 24-30 Anzac biscuits. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup, a 20 ml tablespoon, unsalted butter and 60g eggs. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the oven temperature by 20°C.



Anzac Biscuits - make 24-30
Ingredients
cup regular rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats)
2/3 cup shredded or desiccated coconut 
1 cup plain flour 
2/3 cup caster sugar
1 tsp grated lemon rind
125g (4 oz) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water 
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
handful macadamia nuts, halved

Method
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and set them aside. 

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the oats, coconut, flour, caster sugar and grated lemon rind.

Put the chopped butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan over low heat (or you can do this step in the microwave) and stir occasionally until the butter has melted. Remove the pan from the heat. Mix the boiling water and bicarb soda in a cup and add to the butter mixture. Ad the vanilla extract the pour the butter mix into the oat mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. 

Scoop out tablespoons of the mixture onto the lined oven trays, leaving about 2 inches as the mixture spreads. Flatten the biscuits a little. 

Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 16-20 minutes, or until they're a deep golden brown but still soft. I always rotate the biscuit tray halfway through the cooking time so the biscuits cook evenly. Leave the biscuits to cool on the trays for a few minutes, then carefully transfer them to wire racks to cool completely. The biscuits keep well in an airtight container for up to a week and I think they're at their best served with a nice cup of tea.





The countdown is on. Just 12 more sleeps until I fly to Paris and so much that needs to be done before hand!

See you all again next week with what will be my last baking post for a little while.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.