SLIDER

athens



I arrived in Athens not quite sure what to expect. I'd had such a relaxing stay in Milos and wasn't sure I was ready for the hustle and bustle of a big city. This was the view from my apartment.



First thing on my agenda was to visit the Acropolis. I'd read all the recommendations - rubber soled shoes, water, hat and an early start and did all of those things. 



I scaled the heights and discovered waves of tourists wielding cameras and selfie sticks and endless scaffolding. I was a bit disappointed.



My favourite part of the Acropolis was the Caryatid Porch of the Erechtheion.



Details of the Acropolis.



The Acropolis Museum was so helpful putting everything into context.



The Theatre of Dionysus. I'm not sure how comfortable those marble seats would have been.



The ancient agora was much more my style.


The Stoa of Attalos.



The Acropolis from the Ancient Agora.



The Church of the Holy Apostles.



The next day I was out and about early to watch the changing of the Presidential Guards.



I found it quite moving as did the guards participating in the ceremony looking at the intensity in their faces.



Next stop was Hadrian's Library.



Another view.



By then it was time to visit the Plaka, a lively district near the Acropolis.



Splashes of colour.



Some old doorways.



A local shopkeeper.



Flowers



From there I wandered to the Anafiotika district, known for it's cycladic architecture.



Yes, this is Athens not Santorini.



This is the view.



My final stop was the Panathenic Stadium home of the modern olympics.



The stadium is made from marble and it's a thing of beauty.



I felt a part of the Olympic family.



Next stop, the mystical Meteora.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.