SLIDER

ciambella



These days I'm all about making no fuss no nonsense cakes. Life just seems to be frantic all the time. A few weeks ago I was watching the episode of Nigellissima which featured Nigella making her yoghurt pot cake. It looked easy to make so I scribbled down the recipe then went to the internet to double check I'd written it down correctly. The online recipe was a little different so I'm glad I checked.  



I wanted to use my new favourite Italian copper bundt tin, so of course I modified the recipe a little.



I used lemon rind and orange rind to flavour the cake plus vanilla and I added a pinch of baking powder, just to ensure the cake would rise. 



The tin is just so cute and best of all the cake unmoulded perfectly. 



Here's the recipe for you which makes a small bundt cake. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup, a 20 ml tablespoon, unsalted butter and 60g eggs. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the oven temperature by 20°C. 



Ciambella adapted from Yoghurt Pot Cake by Nigella Lawson
Ingredients
2 large eggs, separated
⅔ cup caster sugar
100g plain yoghurt
100ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp grated lemon rind
Finely grated rind of 1 small orange
¾ cup plain flour
50g potato starch
¼ tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
icing sugar

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a small bundt tin, then place the tin in the fridge until required.

Place the egg yolks in a large bowl then whisk in the sugar and yoghurt. Slowly add the oil to the egg yolk mixture and when blended, stir in the vanilla and citrus rinds.

Sift the two flours, baking powder and salt together. Gradually add the flour to the egg mixture, mixing until well combined.

In a clean dry bowl beat the whites until you have firm peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter then spoon the batter into the prepared ring mould.

Place the tin in the centre of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes in a pre-heated oven until the cake tests cooked when a skewer is inserted into the cake and it pulls away from the edge of the tin.



I took this into work and it was devoured quickly. As one of my workmates said, sometimes all you want is a slice of plain cake which describes this cake perfectly. It's well worth trying.

See you all again next week with some more baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian.
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.