SLIDER

blueberry lemon bundt cake




When company's coming, I bake. As I'm in Brisbane at the moment I pulled out Dad's bundt tin and decided to make something seasonal using lemons and blueberries. 



I looked to see what was in the cupboard and I had all the basics. I found some almond meal and already had blueberries in the fridge so all I needed to buy were lemons. Rather than reinventing the wheel, I slightly modified my blueberry lemon loaf cake recipe so it would fit the tin and also reduced the sugar a little as my Dad doesn't like sweet cakes.



My Dad has 2 ovens and the main oven is on the blink at the moment so I made this cake in his second oven. I've not used this oven before and discovered it runs hot. The cake came out with a bit of a St Tropez tan but thankfully it wasn't burnt. 



Using almond meal results in a soft cake batter and when cooked the cake is quite 'tender' so be careful when turning the cake out from the tin. A drizzle of lemon glace icing completes the cake.



Here's the recipe for you, which makes a medium size bundt cake. I think you could also make this in an 8 inch tin if you don't have a bundt tin but it will probably take a bit longer to cook. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup, a 20 ml tablespoon, unsalted butter and 60 g eggs. My oven is a conventional oven so if you have a fan-forced oven you may need to reduce the temperature by 20ºC. 

Blueberry and lemon bundt cake
Ingredients
185 g unsalted butter
150 g caster sugar
Grated rind of 2 lemons 
3 eggs
1 cup self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
35 g almond meal
1/4 cup lemon juice (the juice of 1 medium Lemon)
150 g punnet blueberries

Icing
½ cup sifted icing sugar
1 tsp melted butter
½ lemon, juiced

Cake

Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F conventional oven. Grease and flour a medium size bundt tin and place in the fridge whilst making the cake.

To make the cake, cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and mix until combined well. Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt then stir through the almond meal
. Add the flour mixture alternately with the lemon juice to make a soft batter. Gently stir in the blueberries then spoon the batter into the greased and lined tin. 

Bake the cake in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes to one hour or until the cake tests cooked when a skewer is inserted into it. Cool the cake in the tin for about 15 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack. When cool drizzle with the icing.




Icing

In a small bowl combine the icing sugar with the melted butter and sufficient lemon juice to make a thick icing. If the icing thickens too much, you can thin it out with a teaspoon or two of boiling water. Drizzle over the cake and then let the icing set before serving.


The cake is simple but quite lovely and I'm wondering why I haven't made it for 3 years.

See you all again next week with some more baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.