SLIDER

Lemon Curd Cake

I was looking back through all my 2009 food files and noticed 2 recurring themes in my baking - chocolate and lemon. My work colleagues are the chocolate fans whilst I love all things lemon. I had a brainwave a few weeks ago and wondered what would happen if I put a layer of lemon curd in my lemon syrup cake and held the syrup?

I bought the Bourke Street Bakery Cookbook for a christmas present for a good friend and didn't have the foresight to copy down any of the recipes from the book. I wanted to try the lemon curd recipe from the book so had to resort to scribbling down the ingredients onto the back of the envelope I had floating around my bag. The lemon curd recipe contains cream rather then butter and I was just intrigued to see how it would turn out. I added some grated lemon rind to the recipe to add a little extra kick. The end result is a very soft curd but it's so yummy and lemony.


I made the cake mixture (using the cake recipe here without the syrup) and put a layer of the curd in the centre of the cake. I didn't want to ice the cake so I topped the batter with some flaked almonds, put it in the oven and held my breath. I was a little worried that the lemon curd would just disappear into the cake and not appear as a separate layer.


The cake looked good but how would it taste? It was a definite hit but one comment was that it could have been a bit more lemony, which translated meant 'more lemon curd layer please'. I'll see what I can do.


If you look really carefully you can see a distinct layer of curd, so I was happy. How did it taste? I was good but I also think the cake could be a bit more lemony so I'll play with the recipe a bit more.

Remember tonight is your last chance to enter the Chilewich giveaway. Remember all you have to do is live in North America and leave a comment as to why you visit my blog.

See you all again on Friday,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

  1. Anonymous11:44 pm

    hi jill, do you have a recipe, it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry but I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to make the cake again. If you have Stephanie Alexanders 'The Cook's Companion' I used her recipe for Angie's Lemon Cake without the syrup. Next time I would increase the lemon rind from 1 to 2-3 lemons as it needed more of a lemon kick. I've attached a link to the lemon curd recipe, I think I used about 1 cup of curd.

    I hope that helps,

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.