SLIDER

white chocolate and rosemary nougat - 5 days of candies - xmas 2013

So here it is, the final recipe in my 5 days of candies and it's a doozy. One of my all time favourite Sydney restaurants is Sean’s Panaroma down at Bondi and it's where I first tried this white chocolate and rosemary nougat about 10 years ago. It was absolutely delicious and I've been meaning to make it ever since.




I have Sean's recipe tucked away in one of my recipe boxes but the effort involved in locating it (we're talking a 6 foot ladder here) was way too much for me at this time of year, so I tracked down a version on the internet. I decided to change some of the proportions in the recipe, so I can’t promise this is exactly the same as Sean’s version.




You need a stand mixer to make nougat and as I didn't own one until recently, the recipe was put to one side until now. I've never made nougat before so I held my breath and crossed my fingers that it would turn out okay. I accidentally overcooked the syrup so the nougat is much firmer than I would have liked but it still tastes delicious. I still have most of the ingredients in my pantry, so once I'm back home from my Christmas break I'm going to make this again because this is one recipe I do want to master. 


Here's the recipe for you adapted from Sean Moran’s ‘Let It Simmer’.
Ingredients
100 g white chocolate, chopped
4 sheets confectioners’ rice paper
440g (2 cups) caster sugar
½ cup honey
1 cup liquid glucose
¼ cup water
2 egg whites
pinch salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 sprigs rosemary leaves picked and finely chopped
100 g dried strawberries, chopped
100 g candied orange rind, coarsely chopped
100 g toasted pistachio kernels
100 g white chocolate, chopped
100 g unsalted butter, chopped

Place the chocolate in the freezer to harden. Line a 7 x 11 inch cake tin with half the rice paper. Preheat the oven to 100°C. Place the dried fruit and nuts in the oven and keep warm. Divide the caster sugar, glucose, honey and water between two small saucepans. Place both on the stove and cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Beat egg whites and salt in an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Increase heat on the saucepans and bring to 125°C on the sugar thermometer. Remove both from the heat and pour the first saucepan into the egg white mix in a steady stream while the motor is running. 

Heat the second saucepan to 155°C and gradually add it to the egg white mix while beating. Add butter and beat until combined. Stir through the warmed fruit and nuts, the cold chocolate, the vanilla and rosemary and working quickly pour mixture into the prepared tin. Smooth surface and cover with the remaining paper. Refrigerate until cold and then cut into desired sized pieces. Store the nougat in an airtight container at room temperature.
I'll be back briefly on Monday but then I'll be taking a 2 week break from the blog until Monday January 6 2014. I'm a bit cooked out at the moment so I'm taking a break to recharge my cooking batteries and to spend Christmas with my family.

By the way, if you haven't had enough of my recipes already this week, my Delicious Bites recipe for Pavé aux Chocolate recipe is featured here on decor8. It's a very old recipe for an easy, tasty dessert. After I photographed it for the column, I took the cake into work and it disappeared in a flash, which is always a good sign.

Have a great weekend and see you soon,

Jillian


PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.