SLIDER

chocolate caramel anzac day slice

Last Friday, April 25, was ANZAC Day which is Australia and New Zealand's version of Remembrance Day. I was up really early so I listened to the dawn service from Canberra. I had a full day of chores planned which included making this slice, finishing off an album and putting together the IKEA PS cabinet that's been sitting in the sunroom for close to 3 months now. My only excuse - I've been really busy and didn't have 3 hours at my disposal, because that's how long it took me to finally make the left side door stop falling off. Long story short, by the time I'd put the cabinet together, I'd run out of time to make these on Friday.



I made these on Sunday and it's a slight riff on my usual caramel slice recipe. So what makes this version of caramel slice into an ANZAC Day version? 



The base. Classic ANZAC biscuits are made from butter, sugar, flour, coconut and rolled oats flavoured with golden syrup. I made the base using all those ingredients bar the golden syrup which I used in the caramel layer.



I found a recipe which simplified the chocolate layer so I gave that a go. These are really popular at work, which is why I used a bigger tin than usual. It meant the chocolate layer was a bit meagre so next time I use this size tin, I think I'll use another 100g of chocolate. 

Here's the recipe for you.

CHOCOLATE CARAMEL ANZAC SLICE
Base
⅓ cup caster sugar
½ cup plain flour
½ cup rolled oats
⅓ cup shredded coconut
90 gm unsalted butter, melted

Caramel
2 x 375 gm tins condensed milk
60 gm melted unsalted butter
⅓ cup golden syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract

Topping
250 gm dark chocolate, grated or finely chopped

Base
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
Line the base and sides of a 21 x 32 cm (8 x 12 inch) tin with baking paper.
Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix in the butter and gently press the mix into the prepared tin.
Place in the 180°C oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until lightly coloured.

Caramel
Place the condensed milk in a saucepan and stir over a low heat for 7-8 minutes or until slightly thickened and lightly coloured. You can also microwave the condensed milk in a large bowl on high for about 7 minutes, stirring every minute. Add the remaining ingredients to the condensed milk and stir thoroughly until well combined.

Pour the caramel over the cooked base and using a knife, spread it evenly over the base. Return the slice to the oven for another 10 – 15 minutes or until the caramel is golden brown and set. Remove the slice from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes.

Topping
Scatter the chopped chocolate over the top of the hot caramel slice and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Remove the caramel slice from the oven and using a knife or the back of a spoon, gently smooth the melted chocolate over the slice.

Allow the topping to set before marking the chocolate into bars or squares. Place in the fridge and allow the slice to completely set before cutting into pieces. I used a hot knife to cut the slice, wiping the blade with kitchen paper between each cut.

Store the slice in a sealed container in the fridge but bring the slice to room temperature before serving. Makes 24 1½ inch squares



Less than 2 weeks now until I fly out. I can't believe it!!!! I still have heaps of things that need doing so I might not have time to bake anything for you next weekend. If not, I'll drop by to say goodbye.

See you all then,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.