SLIDER

raspberry thumbprint cookies - passover week

When I looked back through my recipes, this recipe for thumbprint cookies was prime for passover renovation. I looked in my cupboards, rifled through the freezer where I'd stored the superfine matzo meal and I had everything I needed. After I assembled the ingredients, it literally took me 3 minutes to make the dough in the food processor before running out the door to get to the gym.



Rather than raspberry jam I used the homemade summer berry jam I made a few months ago. The original recipe used marmalade so just use whatever jam you prefer. The recipe also calls for vanilla extract. The regular kind can't be used during Passover so if you can't find a Passover version in the supermarket, you could omit the vanilla or use home made vanilla sugar instead (vanilla pod stored in jar of sugar). Similarly there is no Passover friendly icing sugar so you can make it at home by blitzing regular sugar in the food processor.



Here's the recipe for you -

Passover Raspberry Thumb Print Cookies - makes 16
125 gm unsalted butter
50 gm caster sugar
½ tsp Passover vanilla extract 
1 cup Passover baking mix (equal quantities superfine matzo meal and potato flour)
⅓ cup hazelnut meal
Raspberry jam
Optional - homemade icing sugar

Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF (conventional). Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.

In a food processor combine the butter and sugar and vanilla. Add the baking mix then the hazelnut meal and process until a soft dough forms. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.

Roll into walnut size balls (20 gm) between floured palms. Flatten the biscuit with your palm then press your thumb into the centre of each biscuit to form an indent. Place on the tray leaving space for biscuits to spread and bake for 5 minutes.

Reinforce the indent with the handle of a wooden spoon, and then spoon ½ teaspoon of jam into the indent. Return the jam filled cookies to the oven and baked until they’re golden, another 10-15 minutes. 

Cool on tray, then dust with home made icing sugar if desired and serve.



I took the cookies into work and the girls really loved them because they were both delicate, not too sweet and 'just right' as one colleague declared. You know sometimes, the passover version is better than the original.

I hope you get the chance to make these,

See you tomorrow,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.