SLIDER

lemon rosemary bundt cake

I subscribe to Delicious magazine and have for a long time. The recipes are usually easy to follow and don't demand a trip to the shop to source some hard to find ingredient. When the July issue arrived I spied a Jamie Oliver magazine recipe for little lemon cakes topped with a lemon and rosemary syrup. I love my own lemon cake recipe and I'm always a little disappointed when I try another one but but I wondered how it would pair with the lemon and rosemary syrup.





The only way to find out was to try it, so that's what I did.





Whenever I go away on holidays I put all my plants in the bath tub. Most survive but I find my herbs usually don't. Unfortunately my rosemary bush is looking a little worse for wear and I don't think it's going to survive. Here's how it looked before I went away for 5 weeks. I won't show you the after photo because it's looking a bit sad.



The cake in all it's glory topped with the lemon and rosemary syrup.

Here's the recipe for you. The cake recipe is all mine, the syrup from Delicious magazine. This makes a small bundt cake. If you'd like to make a larger version double all the cake and syrup ingredients except for the eggs. You'll need 3 of those but keep the quantity of lemon juice and yoghurt about the same. The cooking time will stay the same.

Lemon and rosemary bundt cake
125g (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened 
100g (3½ oz) caster sugar 
Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1 egg
¾ cup self raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup almond meal
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup plain yoghurt

Method
Grease and flour a small bundt tin. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.

Sift the flour and baking powder into a small bowl and mix together with the almond meal. Set to one side.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, lemon rind and caster sugar.

In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg then gradually mix into butter mixture. If the mixture starts to look curdled, add a spoonful of the flour mixture.

Add the remaining flour mixture into the batter alternating with the lemon juice and yoghurt to make a soft batter. If the batter looks too thick add a little more juice.

Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake the cake in the oven for 45 – 50 minutes until the top is lightly golden and cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.

Leave the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack.

Pour over the lemon and rosemary syrup.

Lemon and rosemary syrup
1 lemon
I rosemary sprig
⅓ cup caster sugar
2 tble water
Optional - extra rosemary leaves/toasted flaked almonds

Peel the lemon and finely shred the peel. Juice the lemon and set the juice to one side.

In a small pan bring water to the boil, and then cook the peel for 1 minute.
Drain the peel and rinse. Return the lemon rind to the pan with the juice, the rosemary sprigs, the sugar, and the water. Bring the mixture to the boil then simmer until the syrup is reduced by half. Remove the rosemary sprigs from the syrup then pour the syrup over the cooled cake.

If desired, decorate the cake with fresh rosemary leaves and some toasted flaked almonds.



I took this into work for morning tea last week and it was very well received but then again they'd not had any baking for the past 6 weeks so maybe they were just hungry.

See you all again later in the week with some more travel photos.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.