SLIDER

the fumari inari shrine, southern higashiyama and gion

Do you ever have one of those days when you're travelling when you bite off more than you can chew? Well the day I visited Southern Higashiyama was one of those days.





I started the day with an early morning trip to the Fumari Inari Shrine with it's thousands of vermilion coloured tori gates.





Then I decided to go on an ambitious walking tour that tested out my poor feet no end.



I started the trip at the Kyoto Railway Station which is right next door to the Sky Tower.





I walked from Kyoto Station to Sanjusangendo but got hideously lost along the way so I started the walk a little later than planned. 





This is a very popular temple so it was very crowded inside. Unfortunately you're not able to take photos of the golden kannons and even if allowed I couldn't get close enough due to the crowds. Instead here's a photo of the very impressive doors. I bypassed the Kyoto Museum in favour of a visit to Kawai Kanjiro's House, which is tucked away down a little side street.






Kawai Kanjiro was a famous Japanese potter and his home has been turned into a museum. Visiting the house gave me a chance to look inside a traditional Kyoto house.





The next part of the walk was hot, dry and dusty and I was starting to regret my choice of walk. I climbed up a steep hill to the Kiyomizu Temple, one of the hectic brightly coloured temples.





Then I walked back down the hill through the crowded streets of Sannenzaka.





I was looking for the Kodaiji Temple but couldn't find it, even though I was standing right outside it. That's what happens when you're tired. I walked back to Gion, retraced my steps and ended up right back where I'd started!






The Kodaiji Temple is famous for it's gardens.





The temple is set around a lake and it has it's own bamboo grove.





Once again I'm sure this garden would be spectacular during autumn.



From there I limped to the Gion district where I found this kitchen shop tucked away in the back streets.






I also found some goldfish,





and a much loved and very well fed cat but unfortunately no geisha.





See you all again next week with the next Plate 2 Plate post. Juliana and I are making a dish I've never heard of, seen or eaten before so that will be something of a challenge.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.