SLIDER

summer berry and nectarine crumble muffins




When I started this blog I didn't include the recipes, just links. So many websites have changed their addresses since that time, rendering the links useless. Since January I've been revisiting all my old posts reconnecting many of those old links. I also noticed how many comments I used to receive. You've all become very quiet of late which makes me wonder if I've lost all my old readers. I do so hope you're still out there.


One of the posts I revisited was this recipe for summer berry and white chocolate muffins, which was a bit of a disaster. As we're having a long hot summer here in Sydney I decided to remake them last weekend using this Ottolenghi recipe as my inspiration. I did make quite a few changes to the recipe.




I love raspberries and as they're in season, I used them instead of blueberries. Raspberries are always so expensive in Sydney so I used frozen berries in the muffin mix but topped each muffin with a few fresh raspberries. The original recipe contained a chopped green apple but I used a large nectarine instead. I had buttermilk in the fridge so I used that instead of regular milk and I used some pecan crumble mixture that was already lurking in the fridge.



Here's the recipe for you. Here's the recipe for you, which makes 12 regular sized muffins. For all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C.





Summer Berry Crumble Muffins inspired by Ottolenghi: The Cookbook

Makes 12 regular sized muffins.

Muffins
270 g plain flour
2½ tsp baking powder
1 large egg
170 g caster sugar
70 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
190 ml buttermilk
½ tsp grated lemon rind
1 large nectarine, cut into 1cm dice
100 g fresh or frozen berries (I used raspberries) plus extra for topping

Crumble
35g plain flour
55g brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
70g pecans or walnuts
30g cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks

To make the crumble
Put the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg into a food processor and briefly whiz to combine. Add the nuts and scatter the little chunks of cold butter over the top. Pulse just until the butter is incorporated and the nuts are the size of coarse breadcrumbs. Tip this mixture into a bowl and keep it in a cool spot. You won’t need all the crumble mixture for the muffins. It keeps forever in the fridge in an airtight container.

To make the muffins
Preheat the oven to 180°C /350°C. Line a muffin tray with paper cases.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, lightly whisk together the egg, sugar and melted butter. Whisk in the milk and lemon rind. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the milk mixture and fold together very gently. Make sure you stir the mix just enough to combine then gently fold in the fruit; it should remain lumpy and rough.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases to fill them up. Generously cover with the crumble topping to form small domes over the batter then dot with a few extra berries.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.






Take out of the tins while still warm.






I took these into work and they disappeared pretty quickly, which is always a good sign.

See you all again next week with a very chocolatey cake.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.