SLIDER

chocolate bundt cake with a nut brittle and chocolate ganache topping

I know chocolate is probably every-one's favourite flavour, so I thought I'd make a chocolate cake for the blog.





Now you know me, a plain old chocolate cake was never going to be enough, so I dialled things up a notch. I added some dark chocolate ganache to the cake and topped the cake with chocolate coated almond brittle I had in the fridge. 





The recipe for the almond brittle was adapted from this one here.



Here's the recipe for you, which makes a small bundt cake. if you want to make a larger bundt cake double the original recipe and bake for the same time. For all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C. 





Chocolate Bundt Cake

Ingredients 
¼ cup (30 g) Dutch process cocoa 
¼ cup boiling water
125 g unsalted butter, softened 
½ cup caster sugar 
1 teaspoon vanilla 
2 eggs 
¾ cup self-raising flour 
¼ cup plain flour
¼ cup lite sour cream
¼ cup milk

Chocolate Ganache 
50 gm dark chocolate (I used a combination of 42% and 70% dark chocolate) 
50 mls cream

To decorate
Coarsely chopped nut brittle

Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and flour a small bundt tin.

In a small bowl combine the cocoa and the boiling water to make a paste. You should have ½ cup in total. If not, top up with a little more water then set to one side until cool.

Sift the flours into a small bowl and set to aside. In a medium size bowl, combine the softened butter, caster sugar and vanilla and beat until light and creamy. Mix in the eggs and a spoonful flour if the mixture starts to look curdled. Mix in the flour alternately with the cocoa mixture and the sour cream and milk to make a smooth, soft batter. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin.

Bake on the centre rack in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until the cake tests cooked when a skewer is inserted. Remove the tin from the oven and allow the cake to cool for about 15 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Allow the cake to completely cool before decorating. 

Chocolate Ganache 
Chop the chocolates into small pieces and place in a small bowl. Heat the cream in a small saucepan or in the microwave until just below boiling point. Pour the cream over the chocolate and allow the mixture to sit for about 10 minutes until the chocolate melts. Stir until the mixture until smooth then set to one side for about 20 minutes until the ganache has thickened. Drizzle the ganache over the cooled cake, then decorate with some brittle. Serve the cake at room temperature.





I have a confession to make. I met a friend for dinner the other night and gave her the whole cake so I didn't get a chance to taste my creation. The base is one I've made for years and the ganache and brittle tasted pretty good solo so I'm sure the 3 elements would meld well.

I'm off to Brisbane for the weekend but I've already baked something tasty to share with you. 

See you all again next week.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.