SLIDER

cream scones



I do love a good scone topped with jam. I haven't made scones in years so last weekend I decided to make a batch using Annie Smithers cream scones recipe. 




I tracked the recipe down on the internet and all I had to buy was some thickened cream as I had all the other ingredients at home, including home made raspberry jam. On Saturday I assembled the ingredients and set to work. 



When I was a teenager my parents bought me a little scone cutter in Hahndorf in South Australia and I've been using it ever since. I've been making scones for years and in the past I've certainly had my share of disasters. If you follow a few simple rules you should end up with a batch of fluffy scones every time.



When you mix the dough you need to do it quickly as you can, handling the dough as little as possible. You don't really knead the dough, you just pat it out with your hands before cutting the scones into circles or squares. The oven needs to be really hot and it's best to place the uncooked scones close together on the tray so each scone supports it's next door neighbour as they rise.



If you like your scones soft, place them in a clean tea towel for a few minutes as soon as they come out of the oven, otherwise just cool them on a wire rack before serving with a dollop of jam and some cream or butter or both!



Here's the recipe for you, adapted from Annie's recipe. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 gms and I use unsalted butter. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the oven temperature by 20°C.

Cream Scones – makes 10

Ingredients
2 cups self-raising flour
pinch of salt
20g icing sugar
125 ml thickened cream
150 ml milk
jam and double cream, to serve

Method
Preheat the oven to 220°C. Combine the flour, salt and icing sugar in a large bowl, then pour in the cream and cut in with a broad-bladed butter knife. Mix in the milk.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat together into a circle about 2.5 cm/1 inch thick. Use a floured 5 cm/2 inch scone cutter to cut out the scones, re-rolling the dough as needed. Place the scones close together on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Lightly glaze the top of each scone with some cream or milk. 

Bake the scones for 15 minutes at 220°C/425
°F or until the tops are a golden brown. Take the tray from the oven and wrap the hot scones in a clean tea towel for a few minutes. If you like a crunchy scone then omit this step.



Serve at room temperature with jam and cream (or butter, if preferred). These are best served the day they're made.



How were they? They were really quick and easy to put together and honestly, I think they were the best scones I've ever made. I'll definitely use this recipe again.

See you all again next week with some more baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.