SLIDER

the most outrageous chocolate brownies



I first saw a photo of this recipe on instagram and was intrigued. It's an adaptation of an Ina Garten recipe by way of Lee Bailey. The original recipe was huge using pounds of chocolate and 6 eggs. I wanted to make the brownies in an 8 inch pan so I divided the recipe by three. 



When I compared the recipe to my usual brownie recipe, it was very similar so using my own brownie recipe as the starting point, I reduced the flour a little, added a teaspoon of instant espresso powder and half a teaspoon of baking powder, some chocolate chips and away I went.



When I tested the brownies at the 30 minute mark, they were still pretty moist but I took them from the oven anyway. I stored them in an airtight container overnight before cutting them the next day. They were moist and held together okay but next time I'd bake them for another 5 minutes just to get a slightly drier top.



If you'd like to give these very rich brownies a try, studded with walnuts and chocolate chips, here's the recipe for you.



For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup, a 20 ml tablespoon, unsalted butter and 60g eggs. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the oven temperature by 20°C.

The most outrageous chocolate fudge brownies - makes 16 small brownies
Ingredients
125 grams butter
180 grams 70% dark chocolate (if you use 55% cocoa reduce the sugar to 2/3 cup)
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp espresso powder
⅓ cup plain flour
1½ tbs cocoa
½ tsp baking powder
pinch salt
120g chocolate chips or chunks
1 cup (115g) walnuts/pecans/toasted macadamias, chopped into large pieces
icing sugar for dusting

Method
Preheat oven to 190°C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 20 cm tin.

Melt the butter and the chocolate together in a bowl over simmering water or in the microwave.  Allow to cool to room temperature then stir in the sugar and the beaten eggs, the vanilla and the espresso powder.

Sift the flour and cocoa together with the baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture and beat well until glossy. Add the chocolate chips and the nuts and stir until combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.

Bake at 190° C for 30 minutes or until just cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow the brownies to cool in the tin, before turning out and removing the paper. When cool dust with icing sugar and cut into squares to serve.



My workmates just love brownies but these were shared between my neighbours and friends. As they didn't make it into work I'm about to make a another batch to share with my colleagues.

See you all again soon. 

Bye for now,

Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.