SLIDER

buckwheat chocolate chunk cookies



The holiday is over. The backpack is back in the cupboard, the laundry has been washed, ironed and folded and I've already survived (!) 3 days of work. Just before I went on my holidays, I met a friend for dinner. I always like to bring along a treat so I looked through my cupboard and the fridge and realised I had all the ingredients to make chocolate chunk cookies.



I'd recently bought some buckwheat flour and wanted to use some of it in the cookies. I've never baked with buckwheat flour before so consulted the internet for some guidance. I adapted my old recipe for Baker's Chocolate Chunk cookies and when I compared it, the recipe was very similar to this one by David Lebovitz 



I baked half the batch and the rest I portioned in the freezer waiting to be baked. They've since been baked and consumed.



She cookies straight from the oven. Look at all that melted chocolate.



Here's the recipe for you. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon, 60 gm eggs and unsalted butter unless specified. My oven is a conventional gas oven, not fan forced, so you may have to lower your oven temperature by 20°C.

Buckwheat Chocolate Chunk Cookies – makes 24 small cookies
Ingredients
¼ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
¼ cup caster sugar
115g (4 oz) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour minus 2 tbs
¼ cup buckwheat flour
½ tsp baking powder 
Pinch salt
175g (6 oz) coarsely chopped dark chocolate (55%)
½ cup (60g) pecans or walnuts toasted and coarsely chopped
flaky sea salt

In a large bowl, mix together the brown sugar, caster sugar and the melted butter. Add the egg and vanilla and stir well to combine.

In a separate bowl, sift together the plain flour, buckwheat flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture and then mix in the chopped chocolate and nuts. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for one hour. Use a cookie scoop or your hands to form 4 cm balls of dough. Return to the fridge and refrigerate overnight or at this stage you could freeze the cookie dough. 

The following day preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF. Line two baking sheets with baking paper and place the cookies evenly spaced (about 2½ inches) apart on the baking sheet. Slightly flatten the tops and sprinkle lightly with flaky sea salt.

Bake the cookies until they are just golden around the edges but still a little soft in the middle, about 12 -15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets in the oven midway through baking. Remove the cookies from the oven and tap the top of each cookie lightly with a spatula, just once, to compact them slightly. Let cool.


These are best eaten still warm from the oven but they can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days. The dough can be frozen for up to two months.

See you all next week with some more baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.