SLIDER

gluten free mixed berry ricotta cake



Since I returned from my holiday I've been attracted to quick and easy to put together recipes. I hadn't planned to bake a cake this weekend but as I had a cold I didn't feel like making anything that was too time consuming.



I was scrolling through instagram and saw a raspberry ricotta cake that looked nice. I had ricotta in the fridge and just needed to buy some frozen berries and I had all the ingredients to make this cake. I saw a bag of mixed frozen berries at the supermarket so I decided to give those a try instead of using raspberries alone. 



The raspberry ricotta cake is a one bowl cake mixed a wooden spoon but I changed the method to one that made a bit more sense to me. Then I decided I may as well make the cake gluten-free so I could share it with my GF work colleague. I'm not a huge fan of the GF flour I have in the cupboard so I swapped out some almond meal for the flour.  By the time I'd made all my changes the recipe had meandered quite a distance from the original one featured in Bon Appetit.



Here's the recipe for you which makes a 17cm cake. If you'd like to make a 23cm cake, double all the ingredients and bake for the same length of time. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup, a 20 ml tablespoon, unsalted butter and 60g eggs. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the oven temperature by 20°C. 



Gluten free berry ricotta cake – inspired an Alison Roman recipe
Ingredients
60g melted unsalted butter
½ cup caster sugar (reserve 1 tbs for the topping)
½ tsp finely grated lemon rind
125 g ricotta
2 eggs
½ cup gluten free plain flour
1 pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup almond meal
¼ cup milk
⅔ cup frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries and blackberries)

Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease and flour a 17cm round cake pan and line the base with baking paper.

In a medium bowl mix the melted butter with the sugar and lemon rind. Whisk in the ricotta followed by the eggs and beat until smooth.

Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder into a small bowl then stir in the almond meal until combined. Add a third of the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and stir until combined. Add the remaining flour in thirds until combined. If the mixture is looking a bit too thick gradually beat in some of the milk until you have a soft consistency. Finally fold in half the frozen berries, taking care not to crush them.

Spoon the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top. Scatter the remaining berries over the batter before sprinkling the berries with the reserved sugar.

Bake the cake for about 50-60 minutes until golden brown and a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Place on a cooling rack and run a knife around the edge of the cake. Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before unmoulding.



If desired you can sift a little icing sugar over the cake before serving. The resulting cake studded with berries, is really moist and delicious and probably deserves all the rave reviews it's garnered in the 4 years since the recipe was first published.

See you all again next week with some more baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.