SLIDER

classic anzac biscuits

 

Anzac Day is just around the corner and each year I like to make a batch of Anzac Biscuits. As they're a melt and mix biscuit, they're very easy to make. They were probably the first biscuits I learned to make and I think I baked them in a slice tin and cut them into squares.

This year I made not one batch but 3 batches, each of them a little different. I thought I'd share my version of the classic Anzac biscuit with you.
I made this batch using browned butter which is a completely optional step. If you want to make the brown butter version you'll need to use about 160g of butter to make 125g of browned butter. I put my butter into a covered heatproof bowl and microwave on high for about 5 minutes until the butter smells nutty and is dark brown. Strain through a fine sieve to remove any dark solids leaving you with browned butter.
 
I've made these biscuits using both shredded coconut and desiccated coconut and I've found if you use shredded coconut you won't need to use as much liquid, so add it gradually until you're happy with the mixture. I decided to top each biscuits with a few strands of shredded coconut and a few flakes of sea salt.

Here's the recipe for you which will make around 30 small biscuits using a 15 ml tablespoon. For all my recipes I use a 250ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon, unsalted butter and 60g eggs. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the oven temperature by 20°C.
Classic Anzac Biscuits - make 30 
Ingredients
1 cup regular rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats)
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup plain flour
¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup caster sugar
Pinch salt
125g (4 oz) unsalted butter, chopped or 125g of browned butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
 
To decorate
1 tbs shredded coconut
½ tsp sea salt flakes
 
Method
Preheat the oven to 160°C, conventional.
 
Line 2 baking trays (I used the quarter sheet USA pan from Everten)with baking paper and set them aside. In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the oats, coconut, flour the sugars and salt. Put the chopped butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan over low heat (or you can do this step in the microwave) and stir occasionally until the butter has melted. Remove the pan from the heat. Mix the boiling water and bicarb soda in a cup and add to the butter mixture. Add the vanilla extract then pour the butter mix into the oat mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
 
Scoop out tablespoons of the mixture onto the lined oven trays, leaving about 2 inches as the mixture spreads. Flatten the biscuits a little. If you like, top each biscuit with a pinch of sea salt flakes and some shredded coconut.
Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until they're a deep golden brown but still soft. I always rotate the biscuit tray halfway through the cooking time so the biscuits cook evenly.
 
Leave the biscuits to cool on the trays for a few minutes and then carefully transfer them to wire racks to cool completely. The biscuits keep well in an airtight container for up to a week.
The cup of tea and the Anzac biscuit you see was yesterdays breakfast and it was delicious, a combination of both crunchy and chewy. I think this will be my go-to recipe from now on.
 
See you all again next week with some more baking from my kitchen.
 
Bye for now, 
 
Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.