SLIDER

fig frangipane tart

I did so much baking in March, it was ridiculous. There seemed to be a birthday celebration every second day or thereabouts so I have at least 5 baking posts in the wings.

fig frangipane tart,jillian leiboff imaging,sydney,food photography,baking

The fig season is still in swing so a few weeks ago I bought 2 punnets of figs to make a fig frangipane tart. One of the girls had eaten one in Paris last year and said it was the best thing she'd ever tasted. How could I do anything but rise to the challenge? 

fig frangipane tart photo blog-1.jpg

The recipe I used was similar to this one with the addition of some fig jam and creme patissiere in the filling and minus the raspberries.

fig frangipane tart photo blog-2.jpg

I made the pastry on Saturday evening then at 6.00 a.m. on Sunday morning, before hitting the gym, I was making fig jam using this recipe. While I was waiting for the jam to cook I sent out an email to my friends declaring my insanity. By the way, I'm not really a jam person but this jam is delicious.

fig frangipane tart photo blog-3.jpg

I also decided to include creme patissiere in the tart filling, so yet another another step in the process.

fig frangipane tart photo blog-5.jpg

I had a little too much filling so I made a few little mini tarts. I was going out for dinner that night, so I took 2 along with me for dessert.



I decided to glam things up a bit and did a restaurant type dessert plating. I made a little fig and orange salad dressed with orange juice and a dash of honey then topped with orange zest. It was fresh and light and a perfect counterpoint to the tart.



My friend's verdict - even better than the tart from Paris! The effort was worth it.

fig frangipane tart photo blog-7.jpg


See you all on Wednesday,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

9 comments

  1. What a gorgeous post! I am making quince paste right now but would be really tempted to make some fig jam and tarts after reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't the recipe I used but it could be adapted with the addition of 1/2 cup creme patisserie in the filling (optional) and about 1/2 cup fig jam spread over the cooked base. I sugared the figs before layering them over the filling, then when it was cool, I glazed the top with sieved apricot jam.

    You should give it a go.

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1308693/Recipe-Fig-frangipane-tart.html

    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi jillian, just became a follower as i strangely found this post via Pinterest and was amazed and how beautiful this tart looked. I followed your suggested link above and made the tart (as i have a huge fig tree in the backyard) and it was sensational!!! Thankyou so much for sharing this wonderful recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda,

    how lucky are you, having a fig tree in the backyard? I'm a little jealous.

    I'm glad you found the blog enjoyed the tart,

    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you give directions on how you made this?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brittany,

    if you read through the comments I posted an address for a fig tart recipe (you'll have to copy and paste it into your browser) which was quite similar to the one I used plus how I adapted the recipe. There is also a link for the fig jam recipe in the body of the post.

    Unfortunately due to time constraints I don't have the time to write out and post recipes.

    Hope you understand,

    J

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.