SLIDER

mini passionfruit cakes

During the London Olympics, due to the time difference between Sydney and London, most of the interesting events occurred in the middle of the night. There's been precious little entertainment on t.v the past 2 weeks so instead of watching television, I listened to the olympics coverage on the radio and read a book.

One show that has been on the t.v, is MasterChef All Stars. I've only caught a few episodes but I did manage to see last week's Country Women's Association cake challenge. As I love all things passionfruit I decided to track down the CWA Passionfruit Cake recipe which featured on the show. I'd bought a bag of passionfruit the previous weekend and had been looking for a way to use them.



The gas supply to my building is still being fixed. When I had no gas Saturday morning, I wasn't sure I'd have anything to put up on the blog, especially when the plumber was otherwise engaged for the day. By 4.00 p.m. the gas was back on, so I pre-measured all the cake ingredients Saturday night as I knew I'd have to be up early to get these in the oven and baked before my 9.15 Sunday morning cycle class. Gosh that was a long sentence, wasn't it?




As is my way, I changed the recipe a little. Instead of making a single cake I made 9 mini cakes from the recipe which took about 20 minutes to bake. I also used strained passionfruit juice instead of passionfruit pulp. Sometimes crunching through passionfruit seeds you're not expecting to find, isn't such a pleasant experience.




I iced the cakes once I returned home from the gym. The CWA recipe didn't come with instructions for passionfruit icing so I used this one from the Cook's Companion by Stephanie Alexander.

Passionfruit Cake 
250g butter, softened 
1 cup (220g) caster sugar 
3 eggs separated 
2 cups (300g) SR Flour 
¾ cup (180ml) buttermilk 
¼ cup (60ml) passion fruit pulp 

Pre-heat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease and lightly flour a 20cm/8 in round tin, tap out any excess flour. Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in egg yolks, one at a time, beat until well combined. 

Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in half the sifted flour and half the buttermilk, then stir in the remaining flour and buttermilk and passionfruit pulp.

Beat egg whites in clean small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into cake mixture in two batches. Spread mixture into prepared tin. Bake in moderate oven, for about 50 minutes or until cooked. 

Stand for 5 minutes before turning onto covered rack to cool. Ice only on top with passionfruit icing.

Passionfruit Icing
1 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
50 grams unsalted butter, melted
the pulp of 2 passionfruit.

In a small bowl combine the icing sugar, the melted butter and the passionfruit pulp. For a runny icing, place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir the mixture for 1-2 minutes or until shiny.



As you can see the mini passionfruit cakes are perfect served with a nice cup of tea. I snaffled one for myself and took the rest into work. They were an absolute hit and devoured by every-one, even by my colleague Michael who declared he doesn't like passionfruit.

Just 2 more busy work days to get through before the weekend. Yippee!

I'll see you all again next week,

Jillian


PRINT RECIPE

6 comments

  1. Anonymous9:54 pm

    Jillian, every recipe you post speaks to me! I was going to search for the Passionfruit cake Poh cooked on Masterchef and viola! Fabulous as I ironically bought a stash of beautiful passionfruit today, they have perfumed my kitchen this evening. Oh and your tea strainer is gorgeous, was it a local find? Cheers, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Many thanks. I bought the tea strainer online from Bellocq, a tea company based in the US. It arrived nicely packaged with a little sampler of their tea. I'm going to be in NYC in October so I might try and check out the store.

      J

      Delete
  2. These cakes look delicious, and I like having several small cakes instead of one large one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliana. I'm heading home to spend the weekend with my parents and Mum has requested the passionfruit cake. 6 passionfruit will be lurking In my carry-on luggage. Have a nice weekend,

      J

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous - I bake with passionfruit all the time and shall be adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chele,

    all my passionfruit posts seem to be very popular. I'll have to come up with some more passionfruit recipes to post.

    J

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.