SLIDER

NYC, here I come

I found this great photo taken in the Bowery in the NYPL digital gallery. It was taken by Berenice Abbott and it's from a Collection called Changing New York by Berenice Abbott. So why a photo of New York you may ask? Well that's where I'm planning to be on Columbus Day.



Late last year I started planning a trip to Canada in 2012 to attend a conference. It's hard to believe but in just 5 weeks I'll be getting on a plane and flying to Canada for 10 days. I'll be in Montreal for 2 days and the rest of my time will be spent in Quebec City. I've been to Quebec City before but only for 2 days and it was a long time ago so my memory of what I saw and did is pretty hazy. I'll be staying in Old Quebec whilst there and I'm hoping to escape the convention centre whenever possible to do some sightseeing. After the conference I'll be flying to NYC for 6 days of eating, shopping, gallery visiting and hopefully lots of photography.

Dear readers, as it's been an age since my last trip to NYC, I'm looking for your suggestions for things to see and do, people to meet, places to eat and of course to shop whilst I'm there in October. I've done all the usual touristy things on previous trips so I'm keen to experience something new.


I can't wait to hear all your suggestions! You can leave them in the comments section or you can email me directly if you prefer.

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

7 comments

  1. My sister went to NYC earlier this summer and wrote about a restaurant she went to. Hope it helps?!

    http://awilliamsfood.blogspot.ch/2012/08/eleven-madison-park-in-new-york-city.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:39 am

    There are some great Mexican restaurants in NYC, including Cilantro and Dos Caminos. I love checking out Wholefoods for groceries etc. I like the one at Columbus Circle. Columbus Circle also has some good restaurants, including Landmarc, with great views of Central Park and surprisingly some of them have some fairly reasonably priced breakfast/lunch options. Dean & Deluca is good for spices and to laugh/be shocked at how much they charge for Vegemite. I like checking out the (small selection) of tableware at Ochre and their sister store, Canvas. Pearl River in Soho is fantastic for cheap, little blue Asian bowls and plates. The patterns are beautiful. An interesting vegan food option is Candle. Dovetail on the Upper West Side has a great Monday Night Vegetarian night and if you're feeling adventurous Pure Food & Wine does really tasty raw food. Go to Epcerie Boulud to get some tasty sandwiches etc to eat in Central Park. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions. I'll make sure to check some of them out,

      J

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:56 am

    Luke's Lobster, for the best lobster rolls in NYC, Joe Fresh for cute and cheap basic clothing, Space NK/Sephora/Duane Reed and Saks should cover all your make-up/skin care needs (everything is SO much cheaper in the US), Strand Books is a huge second hand (and new) book emporium, Cafe Gitane in Nolita for amazing cafe food, ABC Carpet & Home is another must see (they even have a cafe/restuarant) so you can make a day of it, fresh for beautifully packaged soaps and skincare, Jonathan Adler for candles, an oldy but a goody at any time of day breakfast/lunch or dinner is Balthazar - their sister cafe Pastis is great too, Helen Ficalora for personalised jewellery...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, make-up is high on my list of purchases as I've just about run out of some of my staples plus of course some home wares for styling. I'd love to shoot a shop whilst I'm there so if any-one can suggest a few places, I'll be grateful. I now have a HUGE list of things to do and places to eat.

      Many thanks,

      J

      Delete
  4. Anonymous5:25 am

    Visit the High Line park, then pop in to Chelsea Market for great food shops/stalls (including People's Pops makers of great fresh fruit popsicles - they also have other branches) and a branch of Anthropologie. Chef, Mario Batali and co's 'Eataly' is another must-do, it's an amazing food emporium with several eating spots within. Also, don't be afraid of the street vendors - the hot dogs are cheap, convenient and tasty. There are even some great permanent 'street vendors' in Central Park (where Tavern on the Green used to be). I really like the taco van (sorry can't remember the name).

    Shake Shack is good to visit as a one-off, it's basically a fancy McDonalds but good to try even if just once.

    If you get tired of walking the yellow cabs are relatively cheap and they're happy to take you short distances. But just don't forget to tip them (generally between 10 -15% of the fare).

    The Whitney Museum is good if you're interested in seeing great modern American art. If you go to MOMA it has some nice cafes and a beautiful but expensive restaurant. In the summer you can even buy wine in the courtyard in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of my friends recently returned from NYC and stayed in Chelsea so The High Line, Chelsea Market and Eataly are already on the list. I wish I had longer in NYC but it's so expensive to stay there.

      Thanks so much for all those suggestions.

      J

      Delete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.