SLIDER

passionfruit and lemon tart

My readers often email me asking for recipes. One of the most requested recipes, has been for the Lemon Tart I made using a recipe from the Australian Gourmet Traveller Perfect Match cookbook. Passion fruit are in season at the moment so I decided to reinterpret the recipe using passion fruit juice. I made the tart with farm fresh eggs laid by 'the girls'.



I pureed the passion fruit in my food processor at home in Sydney before driving to Dungog. I was running a bit late so I didn't have quite enough time to make the 90 mls of passion fruit juice needed, so I topped it up with some lemon juice.



I also made the pastry at home and took it up with me in a little cooler bag. It's a 3 hour drive to Dungog and I didn't think the pastry shell would arrive in one piece so I rolled it out and lined my favourite rectangular tin once I arrived.



It's always challenging baking in an unfamiliar oven. My old gas oven is quite low with no known hot spots. Farmer Andrew has a fan forced oven and even though I lowered the temperature, I discovered the oven has 2 hot spots.



Even though I cooked the tart at 150°C, if you look really closely you can see a few bubbles in the tart filling, a sure sign of a too hot oven. I was assured it still tasted fine, despite the bubbles.



Here's the original Andy Harris Lemon Tart recipe for you from Gourmet Traveller. To make a passionfruit tart, instead of 90 mls of lemon juice I used 70 mls of passion fruit juice and 20 mls of lemon juice.

Gourmet Traveller Lemon Tart
printable recipe

Pastry
250 grams plain flour
125 grams cold unsalted butter
75 grams icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
3 egg yolks
3 tbl water

To make pastry, process flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add egg yolks one at a time then gradually add 1-3 tablespoons water until pastry comes together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface then knead for 30 seconds. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out pastry onto a lightly floured surface and line a 24 cm round flan tin with a removable base trimming excess pastry with a sharp knife. Prick base with a fork and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to at 160°C. Line pastry with baking paper and filled with dried beans or rice. Place tin on an oven tray and bake at 160°C for 10 minutes then remove paper and beans and bake for another 15 minutes until pastry is dry and golden brown.

Filling
5 eggs
150 grams caster sugar
90 ml lemon juice
2 tbs finely grated lemon zest
150 mls double cream

Place eggs, sugar, lemon juice and rind in a bowl and whisk to combine, then whisk in cream. Heat lemon mixture in a saucepan over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until warm, then pour into prepared pastry case and bake at 160°C for 25 minutes or until just firm. Cool tart for 1 hour, then serve dusted with icing sugar.


Time for me to get some dinner. I'll see you all again next week. 


Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

20 comments

  1. Ok your pics are truly amazing. i can almost taste the tart
    www.frescocreative.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:39 pm

    Looks amazing! I must have to make this tart, thank you for the recipe. Cheers, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy,

    I've been making a different passionfruit tart successfuly for many years and suddenly every time I'd make it, it would be a disaster. Once I started making this particular lemon tart I thought it would be pretty easy to convert it into a passionfruit tart. This was my first attempt. Don't be tempted to use regular cream rather than double cream. I did that once and the filling split when it cooled down.

    Good luck with it,

    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:14 am

    Thankyou for the tip re cream and such a great idea to use passionfruit! Looking forward to making this! Cheers, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious! And I adore the rectangular pie tin. I will have to make this one of these days. Our local veggie market always has passion fruit and the more you buy the cheaper they get. (1 for 80 cts, 10 for €2,50)
    Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh - our passionfruit here in Sydney are much more expensive than yours!
      Please try the tart as it's delicious,

      Jillian

      Delete
  6. Looks really Good, but for us poor american cooks, the Grams is too challenging. Do you have this in Cups and Tblspoons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dea,

      no I don't but there are plenty of measurement converter websites out there which will do the trick. Here's a link to one I found which converts just about everything.

      http://www.onlineconversion.com/cooking.htm I use it to convert American recipes from cups to weight. btw, did you know an Australian tablespoon is a different measure to a US, British and New Zealand one?

      I bought a set of digital scales which weigh in both ounces and grams 2 years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done. Now I weigh everything that I used to measure in cups and jot it down.

      Hope that helps,

      Jillian

      Delete
    2. Thank you

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the nice recipe and the beautiful picture.

    Greetings from Rosine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made exactly how much the recipe yeilded and it was gone in a night. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear it turned out well. Sometimes this recipe gives me a bit of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this recipe Jillian. It's been a hit with my friends! Looking forward to more. cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

      J

      Delete
  11. What a lovely summer treat! I'm so excited to remake this one. But my tart pan is about 35cm,is there any changes in the recipe and the temperature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. Is the pan rectangular like the one in the picture? If so, the tin I used is close to 35 cm long but only about 7-8 cm wide and I used the full filling recipe but only needed about half the pastry. I usually freeze any leftover pastry to make another tart. The baking time at 150-160C should still be about 25 minutes as heating the cream mixture on the stove cuts down the baking time. I hope you enjoy the tart.

      J

      Delete
    2. Yes my tart pan the the rectangular one. Thanks for the instruction. Lovely recipe which I'll definitely enjoy!

      Delete
  12. I made this tart using passion fruit and lemon as suggested and it was epic! I didn’t have a rectangular tart tin so used a 23cm round tin and it worked well too. Thank you for the wonderful recipe. This is surely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it turned out for you. I love to hear when a recipe I love works for someone else as well.

      Delete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.