SLIDER

mulberry crumble cake

One of my workmates has a mulberry tree. She knows how much I like mulberries and brought some into work for me. My fingers now bear the tell tale mulberry stains. When it came time to bake this weekend, I changed my plans and decided to use some of the mulberries to make a mulberry crumble cake. I didn't have a recipe so I used my regular butter cake recipe, borrowed the crumble from another recipe and voila, mulberry crumble cake.



As well as the bundt tin you saw on the blog last week, I also bought a small springform tin. It's really solid and the perfect size, so I know I'm going to get a great deal of use from this little tin.



Farmer Andrew came over on Sunday and had a chunk of the mulberry cake for afternoon tea.



He seemed to like it. I took the leftovers into work with me on Monday and they seemed to like it as well.



As I used an 17 cm tin, I downsized the recipe but here's the original recipe, suitable for a 23 cm (9 inch) tin. If you don't have mulberries you could use any other dark berry like blueberries or blackberries.

Mulberry Crumble Cake printable recipe
Crumble Topping
¼ cup (55 gm) brown sugar
¼ cup (35 gm) plain flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup (70 gm) pecans
30 grams (1 oz) cold unsalted butter cut into small chunks

Cake Ingredients
300 grams mulberries, washed and hulled
250 grams (8 oz) unsalted butter
200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
grated rind of a lemon
2 eggs
2 cups self raising flour
175 mls (¾ cup) buttermilk

Method
Grease and line the base of a 23 cm springform tin. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF.

Combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a food processor. Add the pecans and butter and pulse until just combined. Place the crumble topping in a small bowl and refrigerate while making the cake.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the grated lemon rind and the 2 eggs and mix until combined well.

Sift the flour. Add the flour alternately with the milk to make a soft batter. Spoon half the batter into the greased tin. Layer half the mulberries over the top of the batter. Gently spoon the remaining batter over the fruit. Sprinkle the top of the cake with the crumble and tuck the remaining mulberries into the crumble layer. I reserved a tablespoon of the crumble topping to scatter over the mulberries.

Bake the cake for 1-1¼ hours or until the cake tests cooked when a skewer is inserted into it. Cool the cake in the tin for about 15 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack.

Have a great weekend. See you all again next Monday with some images of New York pre Hurricane Sandy.

Jillian

PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

  1. I've never had mulberries before, but love blackberries. Are they similar in taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Juliana,

    I grew up pinching mulberries from the next door neighbours tree, which used to hang into our back yard. I'd never seen blackberries growing wild in my hometown Brisbane so I first discovered wild blackberries when I lived in Canada. I love them both but mulberries are softer and sweeter when ripe than blackberries and are not at all tart.

    J

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.